Everyone of us knows or can identify the smell of camphor even when one does not know the name.
Camphor is one of the main ingredients that makes Vicks VapoRub smell the way it does, even including its medicinal benefits.
Camphor is a waxy, flammable, white or transparent solid substance found in the wood of the camphor laurel, a native tree which originated from Asia. It has been in use with traditional medicine for ages in Asian countries.
It is comes in form of small cubes and an essential oil that is extracted from the camphor tree.
It possesses antiseptic, anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, stimulant, antirheumatic, antineuralgic, antispasmodic and sedative properties. It plays a role as a natural decongestant, which is the major reason why it is use in medicine.
Because of its medicinal properties, camphor is used as one of the main ingredients in numerous health care products.
1. Clears Nasal Congestion
Camphor acts as a natural decongestant that gives quick relief from a blocked nose and makes breathing easy and comfortable again.
- Mix small quantity camphor oil into 1 tablespoon of warm mustard oil. Gently rub this solute on your chest, back and throat before going to bed to make breathing easier and sleeping better.
- You can also apply an over-the-counter, camphor-based cream on your chest a few times a day to fight nasal congestion.
2. Clears Acne
Camphor is essential in treating acne. It aids in clearing up breakouts and prevent future breakouts.
Its anti-inflammatory properties helps reduce inflammation, swelling and redness in your skin.[Read: How to Remove Back Acne Super Fast]
- Put 1 cup of extra-virgin coconut oil in an airtight jar.
- Add 1 teaspoon of camphor oil and mix it in thoroughly.
- After washing your face with a cleanser, pat it dry and put some of the oil blend on the acne.
- Massage it into the skin for 5 minutes.
- Leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, wash off the oil with lukewarm water and a cleanser.
- Repeat once daily
3. It Destroys Head Lice
Camphor, used along with coconut oil, makes an awesome remedy to get rid of head lice.
Coconut oil will suffocate the lice, camphor then helps to kill the lice due to its antiparasitic property.[Read: 6 Ways To Treat and Prevent Tension Headaches]
- Mix 1 tablespoon of crushed camphor and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Apply it on your hair, concentrating mainly on the scalp and roots of your hair.
- Put on a shower cap and leave it on overnight.
- Wash it out the next day with shampoo.
- Repeat this remedy 2 or 3 times a week for a month to totally get rid of head lice for good.
4. Cures Cold Sores
Cold sores or fever blisters are very common, can be highly contagious, and cause a lot of pain and irritation. To tackle cold sores, try camphor. It is considered to be safe and effective in temporarily relieving pain and itching caused by the lesions, due to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
The essential oil derived from Camphor has a cooling sensation that helps to treat and cure cold sores.
- Mix 2 or 3 drops of camphor essential oil with 1 tablespoon of melted extra-virgin coconut oil.
- Use a cotton pad to apply it on the sores.
- Do this 3 or 4 times a day.
5. Heals Cough
Camphor is an awesome remedy for a cough.
The strong smell has the power to clear a congested chest and get rid of a stuffy nose. In fact, many medicated chest and throat rubs for coughs and colds contain camphor as one of the major ingredients.
- Mix 4 or 5 drops of camphor essential oil with 1 tablespoon of almond oil. Gently rub this oil blend on your chest for a few minutes. Use it as needed.
- To treat a chronic cough, steam inhalation is very effective. Put a few drops of camphor essential oil in a bowl of hot water. Inhale the vapor to get relief from chest pain and coughing.
6. Cures Muscle Pain
No matter the kind of muscle pain, camphor is a very effective treatment, because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Massaging the painful area with camphor essential oil helps improve blood circulation and reduces stiffness, which in turn promotes healing.
- Mix 5 or 6 drops of camphor oil into 1 to 2 tablespoons of warm olive oil.
- Use it to massage the affected area once or twice a day.
Warning: If massaging worsens the pain, stop doing it and consult your doctor.
7. Soothes Cracked Heels
Worried about your cracked heels? camphor is just the right remedy for you.
It will reduce the pain caused by the cracks and also speed up the healing process.
- Mix a piece of camphor into warm water.
- Soak your feet in it for 10 minutes.
- Scrub your feet with a pumice stone.
- Rinse them with clean water and pat them dry.
- Rub a small amount of Vicks VapoRub (contains camphor) on your heels and feet.
- Put on a pair of socks and wear them overnight.
- Do this daily.
8. It Act As Repellent and Kills Insects and Mosquitoes
Camphor essential oil acts as a natural insecticide and repellent. Because of its strong smell and other properties, it can be used to kill or repel mosquitoes and other insects.
- Pour ½ cup of hot water into a clean spray bottle. Add 20 drops of camphor essential oil to it. Shake the bottle well to mix the ingredients. Spray this solution around places where you notice insects or mosquitoes.
- Put a few drops of camphor oil in a diffuser and place it in a room where mosquitoes are present.
- The ideal dosage for taking camphor orally is between 125 and 375 mg a day. Consult your doctor for the dosage appropriate for you.
- Always mix camphor oil with some carrier oil before applying it on the skin. It is very strong and can cause irritation when applied directly on the skin.