Rice is a common food in many regions, especially African countries like Nigeria and Ghana. Due to the fact it is easily availability in these countries, more of the populations in these countries have made it a part of their diet as well as beauty goals.
Rice water houses nutrients that can be beneficial for your skin and hair. Rice possesses vitamins B, C and E as well as minerals and eight important amino acids that supports overall health as well as beauty.
In plain words, rice water is the milky white solution you get after soaking or boiling rice. It can be concentrated, diluted or even fermented to blot out most of its benefits.
One other awesome fact about rice water is that it’s probably the easiest DIY “beauty product” that anyone can make at home. Some rice and water is practically all you require!
There are two ways to make rice water – boiling and without boiling.
How to make rice water with boiling:
1. Wash 1 cup of organic rice with clean water.
2. Boil the rice in an open pan with three cups of water.
3. When the rice is cooked, filter the water into a clean container.
Allow the rice water to cool down, then place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Dilute 1 to 2 tablespoons of this concentrated solution in 1 cup of water. Stir it to get a barely milky-looking mixture. Use this solution as needed in your beauty routine.
How to make rice water without boiling:
1. Wash 1 cup of organic rice with water and pour 2 cups of water in it.
3. Allow it to sit for 15 to 30 minutes.
4. Mix well and then filter the water into another bowl.
Pour this water into a clean container and store it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Shake it well before use.
You can also store the rice water at room temperature for 2 days to allow fermentation before moving it to the refrigerator. To make use of fermented rice water, dilute it with plain water in the ratio of 1:3 before using it.
As soon as your homemade rice water is ready, you can use it in your daily skin and hair care routine. Say bye-bye to expensive and chemical-based cosmetic products for skin and hair. Rice water is the ultimate beauty remedy!
Below are the benefits of rice water for skin and hair.
1. Improves Hair Health
Rice water makes hair soft, strong and healthy. Hair is composed of protein, therefore the protein in rice water is good for your hair. Protein in rice strengthens the hair shaft and fills in the cracks, resulting in shiny and soft hair.
Again, rice water contains inositol, a kind of carbohydrate that can prevent hair damage and keep it healthy and soft.
In fact, it can treat hair loss by increasing the growth rate of new hair and strengthening the hair strands as they grow.
- Just after shampooing your hair, pour rice water diluted with plain water on your hair.
- Using your fingertips, gently massage your scalp for 10 minutes.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with plain water.
- Do this hair treatment for 2 or 3 times a week.
For extra nourishment, you can include a few drops of essential oils, such as rosemary, lavender or geranium, to the rice water before use.
You may also add green tea to it. If using fermented rice water, make sure you dilute it before rinsing your hair with it.
2. Tames Frizzy Hair
For frizzy and unmanageable hair, rice water is very beneficial. The good amount of protein in it can deep condition your hair. It can also help detangle and improve hair elasticity.
In a 2010 study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, researchers did a comprehensive long research on the histories of the hairstyles and hair care practices of Japanese women, and found that these women used rice water to rinse their hair each day.
Rice water reduces surface friction and increases hair elasticity.
- Shampoo your hair and wash it thoroughly with cool water.
- Mix 1 part fermented rice water and 3 parts of bath water so that it remains only slightly cloudy.
- Use this mixture as a final rinse.
- Repeat this treatment once or twice a week for best results.
3. Soothes Irritated Skin
The starch found in rice water is effective for treating dry skin lesions of eczema. It can soothe skin irritation and inflammation.
A 2002 study published in Acta Dermato Venereologica discovered that exposure to bath water containing rice starch, twice daily for 15 minutes, led to a 20 percent improvement in the healing capacity of damaged skin.
This study recommends this skin repair bath for barrier damaged skin, particularly in the case of atopic dermatitis patients.
- For any type of skin irritation or inflammation, add a few cups of rice water to warm bath water. Soak your body in this water for 15 to 20 minutes, twice daily.
- For localized irritation, soak a cotton ball in cool rice water and apply it on the affected area. Repeat a few times a day.
4. Tightens Skin Pores
Open or broken pores on the skin can lead to different types of problems like acne and blackheads. Broken or open pores is common in people with oily skin. To help fight this irritating problem, rice water is highly effective.
Rice water works as a natural astringent to tone and tighten your skin. It reduces large pores and helps restore the skin’s pH balance.
- Dilute rice water with an equal amount of water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it on your face.
- Allow it sit for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse it off.
- For excellent results, use this solution every night after cleansing your face.
5. Improves Skin Complexion
Rice water also improves your skin complexion and makes your skin healthy and flawless. It helps flush toxins out the skin, improves skin elasticity and reduces inflammation.
Plus, it prevents aging spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Soak a cotton pad in diluted rice water.
- Apply it on your clean face like a toner.
- Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then, rub in circular motions for several minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this at least once daily.
6. Makes Skin Soft
Rice water is great for keeping your skin soft and moisturized. The protein in it prevents water loss to help keep the skin moisturized longer.
Also, it has antioxidants that help reduce free radical damage caused by aging, sun exposure and environmental factors.
- Dilute rice water with cool water in the ratio of 1:2.
- Soak a washcloth in this solution.
- Place this cloth on your clean face and leave it for 15 minutes or more.
- Softly wash your face with the leftover rice water to get soft, smooth skin.
- Lastly, rinse your face with plain water.
- Use this remedy once daily.
- Try to use organic rice, even though it is bit more expensive than regular rice as the organic produce does not contain pesticides.
- Do not use undiluted rice water in your hair, as it can result in lumps and may build up in your hair over time.
- You can use any variety of rice like white rice, brown rice, jasmine rice, etc.
- Always rinse the rice once with water to remove dirt and other particles.
Job Harrison is the founder and owner of Shzboxtoday. He has been spending tireless time studying alternative medicine, researching on quality life and building blogs for SMEs and online publishers. Connect via Facebook, Instagram or Email.